View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 07:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
kannibul
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370z Touring/Sport
kannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
Alright, so just to be sure though...it's safe to work under a car supported by just two jack stands in the front (rear wheels on the ground)? Or do I need to get it off the ground with four?
Leave it in gear, pull the ebrake, and put something behind one or both rear tires (brick, jam in a piece of 2x4, etc.)

Make sure you're on a solid level surface as well. I once did an oil change in a parking lot, only to have the parking lot fail and everything sinking in...slowly...almost lost that battle!

Safety wise, jack up the car, and use jackstands only.

Usually, what i do is I jack up the car, and put a jackstand under and split the load between the jack and the jackstand. It's quick and dirty, and will leave an "out" if the jack fails, if you're working from the jackstand side (which is what I do...I enter from the jackstand side, work towards the jack side arms only. I hate being under a car!)

If I'm doing more major work than an oil change, jackstands only.
kannibul is offline   Reply With Quote