View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #96 (permalink)
BLM
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2011 Silver M6 sport
BLM will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staples View Post
This post couldn't be further from worthless. As a buyer, the consumer should not have to worry about doing his / her research on which kit is better, both companies should equally do the same amount of research and development - ESPECIALLY a company that's been in business for so long. Safety should always be the first concern, then comes power. Longevity, reliability, maintenance are what a lot of people look for in forced induction.

Stillen, a known company for years has been making great aftermarket products for different car manufactures. To me, their flaw is their supercharger kits. This is not new since they were having issues ever since they came out with a root style kit for the 350z a while back (heat-soak, custom hood, lack of top-end power).

"It's really his fault. If all he wanted was power then yea, lean it out with the current set-up. But he should have told the tuner to leave it a little on the richer side if he was planning on headers all along."

You obviously don't know what's going on. He used a canned tune from Stillen that was "suppose" to be safe enough for him to use as a daily driver. Even adding headers, straight pipes, test pipes, high flow cats or what have you... it shouldn't affect the tune to the point it's too dangerous to even drive the car. The tune should be conservative enough to make changes without sacrificing the motor from detonation.

This isn't the buyer's fault.
Do you really believe the bolded part? Not to be fresh, but are you a Communist? Everything isn't made equally. That statement is beyond ignorant. Consumers shouldnt have to research their products?? Wow. Might I suggest a move to North Korea?

This motor didn't just blow up from him driving normally. He beat on it without tuning it. That's a Darwin Award nomination. These tunes are complicated. If anything, a stock tune from a manufacturer should be very conservative in terms of boost (not allowing the car to reach max), AFR (not pig rich but not too lean), and timing (no crazy advances), with the intention of having it optimally dyno-tuned by a professional. To think that you can just plug and play an F.I. setup is stupid.

Saying that the owner had no personal accountability in romping on his forced induction car with a new modification without a tune is idiotic. It's his car, he should know "hey, maybe I should make sure this is tuned before I beat on it". It's a childish outlook, honestly. You need to take responsibility when this stuff happens. His car didnt fly off the dyno. His car wasn't broken into overnight (as one of mine was). IF something was installed improperly and lead to this then it's not his fault. But still, maybe it's also not such a good idea to just throw money at a car without any knowledge of how it works.

If your bone is sticking out of your leg and you're in excruciating pain but the doctor says it's not broken, are you going to blindly believe him?

Even IF the tune was too aggressive, it's only the fault of the owner for beating on it before he got either A) a second opinion from the manufacturer or B) re-tuned. He could have driven the car normally and been fine.

Why the boost was spiking, that's another story...

Last edited by BLM; 03-23-2011 at 12:07 PM.
BLM is offline   Reply With Quote