View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #41 (permalink)
FricFrac
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z 300ZX 280ZX 240
FricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to FricFrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Indeed, I would like to know that for futue reference. Same sort of boat as you. Bought mine in September last year and the availabilty Canada wide was non existant. I specifically wanted a White Sport 6MT Navi, of which there were non in Canada. So, I started looking south where I could find the car, but couldn't get past the hurdles of dealers not want to sell to Canadians, dealers not realising out of state sales could be done without tax and that all important US address for the warranty issues. In the mean time, my local dealer found a car that Nissan Canada happened to be bringing in as a show car. A little begging and pleading and he came through for me (nice to have friends that work in dealerships).

If anyone does successfully purchase south of the boarder and is able to overcome all the hurdles, I for one would love to hear how you accomplish it. I couldn't get all the pieces to lineup no matter how hard I tried.
I would think the dealers south of you would be quite savvy and eager with Canadian customers importing. I know my experience with dealers in Washington, Oregon and California is that they know the process, know not to charge the taxes and know the loop holes in the system to make the whole process easier. (Eg in California you pay the sales tax if you buy the car in the US but if you have it "exported" to the boarder you can avoid the tax, etc).