Nissan 370Z Forum  

$60K for next new Z35?

Originally Posted by Dirk McGurck The Mazda 6 is 3200lbs. A large sedan. Yes, our engine will weigh a little more, but not that much more. RWD also adds components

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > General > Nissan 370Z General Discussions

Like Tree2325Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2016, 12:12 AM   #1501 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
brucelidat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: temple city, ca
Posts: 2,248
Drives: 2011 370z 7AT GM Sp
Rep Power: 10
brucelidat has a spectacular aura aboutbrucelidat has a spectacular aura aboutbrucelidat has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk McGurck View Post
The Mazda 6 is 3200lbs. A large sedan. Yes, our engine will weigh a little more, but not that much more.
RWD also adds components and weight vs FWD
__________________
- z1 25 row oil cooler - Works Emotion CR Ultimate - FI CBE w/ 18" resonators - Stillen gen 3 CAI - m370 - Ecutek - eibach sways - Swift springs - 4.08 gears - FI LTH w/race cats - kw v3 - spl - 310whp 265 wtq
brucelidat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:03 AM   #1502 (permalink)
Base Member
 
WI_Hedgehog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 41
Drives: 2015 Slingshot SL
Rep Power: 2
WI_Hedgehog is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNKNOWN_370 View Post
If you think the GRIP Z is an SUV? The grip Z weighs 2,500lbs.

If you consider the juke an SUV? It weighs 2,800lbs.

The juke is 500lbs lighter than a Z

The juke was the first in a new generation of lightweight vehicles for the Z.

Do you guys know my 2008 altima 3.5 said on the stickers the door that it weighed 3100lbs? My old altima was 132lbs lighter than the 09 base/manual Z

The thinking behind weight in this thread is EXTREMELY limited.
The Gripz is a concept vehicle with a revised version of the Leaf EV's electric motor. The doors won't work, at least not well; Nissan doesn't have the build quality nor internal bracing to make them work reliably. I have a thin-tire vehicle, hit a pothole the size of a brick and the rim is done--they probably won't make production. Before you flame me for those statements, I ordered a 2015 Murano Platinum and 2015 370Z from Japan, both custom built, so I'm not negative on Nissan. Bottom line: The Gripz doesn't [yet] exist, and when it does it won't look like the concept vehicle nor compare to the traditional Z heritage.

The Juke is all about color choices, not quality. Like most recent Nissan products the styling and features are superb, the underlying build is the same hacked-and-stitched crap they've been producing elsewhere. If you want a tiny hipster/hamster taxi with large footprint and no cargo space, get that. If you want a somewhat exclusive race car with large footprint, the same cargo space, and decent build quality, get the Z--it sure won't damage your manhood like the hamster-mobile.

The draw of the Z is good value for the money. Other than the poor choice of plastic in the clutch assembly, it's reliable, fun, fast, and looks good. It doesn't have the deep curves, insane power, top traction, nor price tag of more expensive cars, and with a single twin-scroll turbo, exhaust, and clutch pack it's a crazy-fun squirrely ride. Swap some engine parts, juice the boost, and ya got 1,000 HP and a $70,000+ car for $50,000.

The Z doesn't gain the attraction of some other "classic" cars, but it is a classic, to the extent the 350Z has made every Fast-and-Furious movie except Five, that was a 370Z. With Japanese sourced parts the U.S. cars have been very capable.

Is there a market for the next Z is the question. The global economy is tanking, thanks to the guys that aren't in the news bleeding the peasants for exorbitant taxes--long live the king. Who can afford one? The Z hits that middle-market that was mostly untapped, the just-above-middle-class zone with disposable income, which allowed upper-lower-income passionate car guys to buy new instead of re-building used and still get a lot of rip, right out of the box, plus reliability. The upgrades from there are bolt-ons, no hard work involved. That group is down-sized. You're either scrapping to support your family and pay mandatory "health insurance" and the resulting uncovered medical bills, or you're the foam above the coffee-that thin layer of froth. Will there be enough of "the right people" to make the next generation race car practical--that's the question.
WI_Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:45 AM   #1503 (permalink)
Base Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nowhere,TX
Age: 30
Posts: 107
Drives: 2017 ???
Rep Power: 8
NRTim is on a distinguished road
Default

Since the 400hp tune in the Infiniti is called "Red Sport" I'm still going with my speculation of the next Z....

Entry level: 2.0T engine
Sport/Touring: 3.0TT engine 300+hp
Nismo: 3.0TT engine 400+hp
ped and terrapirata like this.

Last edited by NRTim; 02-17-2016 at 07:50 AM.
NRTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #1504 (permalink)
I's the first...
 
jwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 11,288
Drives: '10 G37 6MT
Rep Power: 320
jwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond repute
Default $60K for next new Z35?

Does Nissan possess a four banger turbo that is not mated to a FWD tranny?
__________________
'10 G37T 6MT Graphite/Graphite - BP - G37T Build


Last edited by jwick; 02-17-2016 at 02:21 PM.
jwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:21 PM   #1505 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
Magic Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 1,226
Drives: 13 6MT/Spt Z
Rep Power: 10
Magic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRTim View Post
Since the 400hp tune in the Infiniti is called "Red Sport" I'm still going with my speculation of the next Z....

Entry level: 2.0T engine
Sport/Touring: 3.0TT engine 300+hp
Nismo: 3.0TT engine 400+hp
Last I read was that the 2.0T engine is only going to be made in the USA. Unless the Z is going to be manufactured here, I don't think it will receive that engine.

While I love my country, I prefer Japanese cars that are made in Japan.
WI_Hedgehog likes this.
Magic Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:29 PM   #1506 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
theDreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 30,819
Drives: 370z
Rep Power: 111
theDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwick View Post
Does Nissan possess a four banger turbo that is not mated to a FWD tranny?
You won't like my answer but...yes-ish
Juke has a 4 banger turbo with an AWD (CVT tranny).
__________________
theDreamer's Z // Fast Intentions // Uprev // GTM // HKS // TEIN
theDreamer's Silvia // URAS // GREDDY
Houston Zs // Facebook // Twitter // Instagram
theDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:31 PM   #1507 (permalink)
I's the first...
 
jwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 11,288
Drives: '10 G37 6MT
Rep Power: 320
jwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDreamer View Post
You won't like my answer but...yes-ish

Juke has a 4 banger turbo with an AWD (CVT tranny).



Guess I should have asked if they had one that wasn't transverse mounted.
__________________
'10 G37T 6MT Graphite/Graphite - BP - G37T Build

jwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #1508 (permalink)
Base Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nowhere,TX
Age: 30
Posts: 107
Drives: 2017 ???
Rep Power: 8
NRTim is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Bus View Post
Last I read was that the 2.0T engine is only going to be made in the USA. Unless the Z is going to be manufactured here, I don't think it will receive that engine.

While I love my country, I prefer Japanese cars that are made in Japan.
Yeah you're right:
Nissan Decherd - Nissan Smyrna Manufacturing and Assembly Plant

I do prefer a V6 only Z car but who knows at this point whether they'll offer a four banger turbo...
NRTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:59 PM   #1509 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
SS_Firehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tampa
Posts: 3,704
Drives: 13' Magma Red Nismo
Rep Power: 13
SS_Firehawk is a splendid one to beholdSS_Firehawk is a splendid one to beholdSS_Firehawk is a splendid one to beholdSS_Firehawk is a splendid one to beholdSS_Firehawk is a splendid one to beholdSS_Firehawk is a splendid one to beholdSS_Firehawk is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNKNOWN_370 View Post
If you think the GRIP Z is an SUV? The grip Z weighs 2,500lbs.

If you consider the juke an SUV? It weighs 2,800lbs.

The juke is 500lbs lighter than a Z

The juke is 500lbs lighter than a Z

The juke was the first in a new generation of lightweight vehicles for the Z.

Do you guys know my 2008 altima 3.5 said on the stickers the door that it weighed 3100lbs? My old altima was 132lbs lighter than the 09 base/manual Z

The thinking behind weight in this thread is EXTREMELY limited.
So to bring you up to speed, the current Altima weighs around 3,450 lbs.
That grip concept is a pipe dream. The Juke is a FWD and AWD platform, not RWD. FWD weighs less because the drive wheels are right next to the engine. So I'm not being far fetched at all. You're quoting the 1.6L FWD Juke, not the AWD. the AWD weighs as much as a base Z.

The Z already starts at $30k for a stripper of a car. You're looking at $36, for a sport tech and touring models. Nismos and convertibles are the only overpriced models. I think everyone here would be happy paying Nismo money for 400hp. They won't like paying $60k unless the car starts eating vettes again, and that will require more than 400hp. And for the record, brand new Vettes weigh as much as the Z. You'd think they would try and drop the weight of those a lot more if they could? That's a $55,000 car.

Second piece you fail to realize is that to make a stiff structure, that adds weight. With new crash test requirements, clever engineering will need to be done to maintain similar chassis weight or even less.

You also fail to realize that bigger brakes weigh more, bigger wheels weigh more, a larger radiator, additional cooling, beefier clutch, transmission, thicker roll bars, the turbos, the strut bar (front and inverted rear), and all the little luxury features people are asking for.

I'm comfortable with the 3200 number. It definitely won't be 3,100lbs. The car is already using aluminum body panels, carbon driveshaft, forged wheels, aluminum suspension bits, undersized the radiator, crap oil cooler, and the wheelbase is only 100". There isn't a lot left to take off without spending a lot of money for magnesium and carbon.
__________________
Old Car:GTM TSC'd 550whp / 410lbft tq @ 11.88PSI
New Car: Under Construction


Last edited by SS_Firehawk; 02-17-2016 at 03:19 PM.
SS_Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:54 PM   #1510 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Walnut Creek,Ca
Posts: 67
Drives: not a nissan
Rep Power: 0
kay.zee is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Firehawk View Post
So to bring you up to speed, the current Altima weighs around 3,450 lbs.
That grip concept is a pipe dream. The Juke is a FWD and AWD platform, not RWD. FWD weighs less because the drive wheels are right next to the engine. So I'm not being far fetched at all. You're quoting the 1.6L FWD Juke, not the AWD. the AWD weighs as much as a base Z.

The Z already starts at $30k for a stripper of a car. You're looking at $36, for a sport tech and touring models. Nismos and convertibles are the only overpriced models. I think everyone here would be happy paying Nismo money for 400hp. They won't like paying $60k unless the car starts eating vettes again, and that will require more than 400hp. And for the record, brand new Vettes weigh as much as the Z. You'd think they would try and drop the weight of those a lot more if they could? That's a $55,000 car.

Second piece you fail to realize is that to make a stiff structure, that adds weight. With new crash test requirements, clever engineering will need to be done to maintain similar chassis weight or even less.

You also fail to realize that bigger brakes weigh more, bigger wheels weigh more, a larger radiator, additional cooling, beefier clutch, transmission, thicker roll bars, the turbos, the strut bar (front and inverted rear), and all the little luxury features people are asking for.

I'm comfortable with the 3200 number. It definitely won't be 3,100lbs. The car is already using aluminum body panels, carbon driveshaft, forged wheels, aluminum suspension bits, undersized the radiator, crap oil cooler, and the wheelbase is only 100". There isn't a lot left to take off without spending a lot of money for magnesium and carbon.
Great post man, I highly doubt Nissan is going to spend all those production costs just to give some niche Z fans what they want..

It's a bad market spot for Nissan unless they get into Civic SI/Fiesta ST/GTI territory and release some sort of turbo hatch or IDX type little car. But they cancelled the IDX so i doubt even that happens. They are missing out bigtime, the Ford Focus RS is being sold above MSRP and selling like crazy demand. The GOLF R is sold at msrp or above at every dealer with high demand. Nissan could make sort of hot hatch right now and be competitive for enthusiasts but no.....I'm still hoping they are working on something though.
Mancub likes this.
kay.zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:38 PM   #1511 (permalink)
Base Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 37
Drives: 15 Nissan 370Z MR A7
Rep Power: 2
Mancub is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay.zee View Post
Great post man, I highly doubt Nissan is going to spend all those production costs just to give some niche Z fans what they want..

It's a bad market spot for Nissan unless they get into Civic SI/Fiesta ST/GTI territory and release some sort of turbo hatch or IDX type little car. But they cancelled the IDX so i doubt even that happens. They are missing out bigtime, the Ford Focus RS is being sold above MSRP and selling like crazy demand. The GOLF R is sold at msrp or above at every dealer with high demand. Nissan could make sort of hot hatch right now and be competitive for enthusiasts but no.....I'm still hoping they are working on something though.
So yes, you are correct. They are definitely looking to compete with the Golf and Focus, but I think keep some of the original rwd coupe flavor

http://www.caradvice.com.au/359921/r...re-affordable/

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Mancub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:43 PM   #1512 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
Firebase99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: fl
Posts: 1,167
Drives: 14 3.8 Gen Coupe GT
Rep Power: 12
Firebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Just drop the VR38DETT in there. Call it a day
terrapirata likes this.
__________________
'14 3.8 Genesis Coupe, '13 Volvo S60, '04 Honda Accord, '13 370Z-sold, '05 350Z Touring-sold, '92 300Z Twin Turbo-sold, '82 280ZX-gone, '79 260Z-gone
Firebase99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:49 PM   #1513 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
/Angelo350Z/'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,171
Drives: Midnight Blue 370Z
Rep Power: 8
/Angelo350Z/ has a spectacular aura about/Angelo350Z/ has a spectacular aura about
Default

So ... still nothing definitive as what the next Z will be, huh? A $60K Z would have to beat an M4 on almost everything before I consider purchasing one.
__________________

2013 MB NISSAN 370Z
/Angelo350Z/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:55 PM   #1514 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
Magic Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 1,226
Drives: 13 6MT/Spt Z
Rep Power: 10
Magic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRTim View Post
Yeah you're right:
Nissan Decherd - Nissan Smyrna Manufacturing and Assembly Plant

I do prefer a V6 only Z car but who knows at this point whether they'll offer a four banger turbo...
I wouldn't lie to you guys
Magic Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:05 PM   #1515 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
Magic Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 1,226
Drives: 13 6MT/Spt Z
Rep Power: 10
Magic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by /Angelo350Z/ View Post
So ... still nothing definitive as what the next Z will be, huh? A $60K Z would have to beat an M4 on almost everything before I consider purchasing one.
, no way would it ever be $60K. The new BMW M2 w/shipping is $52K, MSRP.
Magic Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
foreign powerrrrrr, lets compare, prius vs la ferrari, tags on tags on tags

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2