View Single Post
Old 11-11-2020, 01:28 PM   #6117 (permalink)
takemorepills
Base Member

Drives: Q60 3.7 AWD
takemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by takemorepills View Post
Right. The new 300Z will likely be offered with very similar VR30 tunes as the Q60. This Japanese source confirmed the pricing of the upcoming VR-powered JDM Fairlady: [OFFICIAL] Discussion for the next new Nissan 400Z Z35?

It appears that the rumored JDM VR30 pricing is approx 6-8% higher than equivalent JDM Z34 pricing, as it seems the JDM trim levels are fairly comparable between Z34 and Z35. Also note that the JDM rumor also agrees with the opinion of many of us that there will likely be 3 versions of the VR30: 300HP-ish, 400HP-ish, something-more-ish for a NISMO.

The 300HP VR30 Q60 starts at $42.7K

That would mean the new 300Z that has the same 300HP VR30 could very likely be under $36K base. The Q60 has nearly 700 pounds of more "stuff" than a Z car.

If I were on a budget, a 300HP VR30 300Z would be a great starting point. May seem like less power than a VQ37, but it has more overall power, and the tuning options are strong with this version of the VR30.
This is how the new Z upsets the Supra:

Base Z has 300HP TT V6 at $36K vs Base 4cyl Supra at $43K (even if you say $40K for base Z, still looks better!)
Uplevel Z's have 400HP TT V6 at least $6-7K cheaper than Supra 3.0TT
At least for ONE model year (I expect BMW to add 6MT after Z is released) the Z will have the advantage of offering a 6MT
The new Z is actually a JDM product. Not a rebadged, re-skinned BMW. For those that care (some of us do, not all I know)

Not dissing the BMW Supra, BMWs are phenomenal and always punch way above their ratings. Heck, I highly doubt the new Z would be faster than a Supra 3.0 (the 2.0 for sure Z is faster). But the Z will be consistently cheaper than the Supra and will be VERY close in performance. Extra points for being JDM to many of us.

Unfortunately, all of these 2 seat sporty cars are playing in a nearly dead space, so not sure anyone is a real "winner" after all. Except maybe those of us who enjoy these kinds of cars
takemorepills is offline   Reply With Quote