View Single Post
Old 10-14-2020, 01:56 AM   #6001 (permalink)
2017370ZBlack
Base Member

Drives: 2017 370Z Black 6MT
2017370ZBlack is on a distinguished road

I wish the new Z would be offered with the VQ37VHR. I would be perfectly happy. My 370Z has Stillen intakes, Fast Intentions resonated high-flow cats, Tanabe Y-pipe, and an EcuTek tune from SpecialtyZ. It is putting out 303hp at the wheels, which translates into around 362hp at the crank. I also added an external oil cooler, and put in a ZSpeed CMAK clutch slave cylinder delete kit with a ZSpeed clutch and flywheel, and a Wavetrac rear diff. The car is pretty much bulletproof now, knock on wood.

SpecialtyZ told me that the 370Z engine is more robust than the VR30DDTT. The VR30DDTT is a great engine, but it is higher maintenance than the N/A VHR engine to be sure. They say it drinks more oil than the VHR. More costly to fix if something goes wrong long-term.

My guess will be that the Z will have the same two engine choices as the Infiniti Q50/Q60- 300hp or 400hp (probably tuned a little higher for each), and the Nismo would probably be around 435hp whenever that is released. I would guess the Nismo model would not be released at the start and would come later.

There's no way the cost of the 400Z will start at the same price as the base 370Z. The engine is more complex and more costly to manufacture; there will be a lot more safety features standard; the interior is upgraded. Hopefully other things like the rear diff is upgraded. Nissan isn't a charity operation and they need to make a profit on the cars they sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viiv View Post
I posted this in the engine sub-forum:

Test drove a 2020 Q60, I prefer the sound of the VQ37

So yesterday, my wife and I test drove a 2020 Passion Red Infiniti Q60. I did this because I wanted a sneak preview of the new Z's engine, as it's already available today in the current Infiniti lineup. What better way to do it than in a two-door Infiniti finished in the same colour as my 2020 Z.

I don't want to get into things like handling here, because the Q60 will not be the Z. I just want to talk about straight line engine performance as that is what most directly qualifies as being a sneak preview to the new Z.

Is it faster, yes. Is it aurally more enjoyable to drive. NO.

Yes you can chalk some of it up to the Q60s automatic transmission versus the excellent 6-speed in my current car.

But man, the whirring sounds of the VQ37 are what make it the best sounding and most enjoyable V6 on the planet. Sadly, the twin-turbo 3.0 lacks all of that character and makes me really wish Nissan would continue offering the current VQ37 in the new Z as a lower priced base trim level to keep the base entry level price down. I would take a VQ37 trim level, not because it's cheaper, but because of the aural experience. The only way to beat the sensory experience of the VQ is with a V8 or higher.

Numbers on an Excel spreadsheet is not what gives us enjoyment; rather its how a car arouses our senses. Automatic is faster than manual. The 3.0TT is faster than the VQ37. But I'd take the slightly slower, more sensual option any day of the week.
2017370ZBlack is offline   Reply With Quote