View Single Post
Old 12-04-2019, 02:53 PM   #28 (permalink)
physics
Base Member

Drives: 19 Nissan 370Z SC 6M
physics is on a distinguished road

I had a Big O tire shop in Pleasanton, CA that did an install of Michelin PS4S tires on my Rays forged sport 19" wheels. Since the shop was "Diamond Certified" I thought that carelessness and stupidity wouldn't be an issue, my mistake! The shop wanted to install the wheels with the full tightening torques in one pass. I had to implore the manager to have them do it in at least two passes. I also informed the manager that my car had a $3K ceramic coating on the body, wheels and brake calipers and that scratches would be very difficult to deal with.

After I got the car back and had a chance to look at the car carefully, I noticed some scratches on the driver's side door. There was a gouged area on the outside of one of my wheels and scuff marks around the painted edges of 2 of the 4 wheels, my wheels are painted gloss black to match the body color. Luckily, I was able to touch up the wheels with black paint and lightly polish out the door scratches without removing the ceramic coat.

From this I learned an important lesson, like with the Porsche I used to own, I will never trust my car to some shop that employs lazy minimum wage Bozos. I'll just spend the extra money and always take it to a trusted specialty shop that knows me.