View Single Post
Old 04-14-2015, 12:53 PM   #25 (permalink)
JARblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 Z34, 98 E36 M3
JARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuimanu View Post
I dropped her off at the shop today and talked to the owner and the technician. They'll clay bar it first, so it seems that they'll do it right.
It's about getting rid of the swirls that the dealer puts in it by hiring some know-nothing teenager to take a dirty towel and put swirls in the paint. Check out the showroom GT-R paint next time you're in a Nissan dealer. I bet it has less than 100 miles and swirls to hell.

Clay bar does not do any paint correction, but it is the proper prep method for the clear bra. They better do that right seeing how it is the very first step.

Quote:
Not getting the full hood, it just seems too flat up near the top, so I'm going up to around where the first panel stops (around 2 feet).
I expect you will be disappointed you did not get the entire hood. Rocks bounce and hit the flat part of the hood all the time

Quote:
The good news is these guys use car templates, so they won't be putting a razor to her.
That is actually not good news at all. It is a sign that these guys are amateurs. As kenchan will gladly point out, the precut templates are for DIYers. A good shop will cut it off a roll so they can properly tuck all of the edges and corners. DIYers often don't have the patience or practice to do this properly, so the precut kits fit so you don't have to cut or tuck much.

2011 370Z 6MT Sport Gun Metallic | ARC | CJM | Ecutek | FI | Fujimura | R2C | SPL | Stillen | TWM | Z1 | ZSpeed |
JARblue is offline   Reply With Quote