View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 11:04 PM   #206 (permalink)
b1adesofcha0s
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: HypeTrain Choo Choo!
b1adesofcha0s has a reputation beyond reputeb1adesofcha0s has a reputation beyond reputeb1adesofcha0s has a reputation beyond reputeb1adesofcha0s has a reputation beyond reputeb1adesofcha0s has a reputation beyond reputeb1adesofcha0s has a reputation beyond reputeb1adesofcha0s has a reputation beyond reputeb1adesofcha0s has a reputation beyond reputeb1adesofcha0s has a reputation beyond reputeb1adesofcha0s has a reputation beyond reputeb1adesofcha0s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4thelaw View Post
Just an FYI:

What's a 3/4 Race Cam?
In the early 1950's the most popular original camshaft designers were the legendary Ed Winfield, the father of hotrodding, and Cliff Collins of Harman-Collins. If you look a Huntington's 1951 book you will find the specs for their cams listed. We've also listed some of their cams on our Flathead Performance Cams page. There were lots of cam grinders that copied Winfield and Harman-Collins cams, but these two were the designers and innovators in the early days. It was popular to refer to cams as a 1/2 Race or Semi grind and a Full Race grind. Later, there was a call for an intermediate grind between these two. To fill this demand, Ed Winfield took the intake lobe from his full race cam and the exhaust lobe from his semi cam and called it a 3/4 Race cam (see Flathead Performance Cams). It was literally half way between a full race and 1/2 race cam. Since that time, 3/4 Race has become a generic term for a high performance street cam, i.e. something less than a race cam.

Granted, its an old outdated dated term in relation to our Zs but I find myself using it to generally describe a hotter than stock cam. I really dont know what cam Pat has in his Stang but it has a pretty mean, lumpy idle.

BTW, Thumbs up for the Monterey Blue Z! I have only seen 1 other MB Z in the Denver Metro area rolling this color. I get tons of compliments on the color and 4 people have actually asked me for the paint code.
I'm assuming from your sig that you're an engineer. If so, what kind of engineer are you? I am in chemical engineering
b1adesofcha0s is offline   Reply With Quote