View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #28 (permalink)
Armonster
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2010 370z t/sp/6mt
Armonster is on a distinguished road

It has been over a month since I had opti-coat applied, so I'm due for a more detailed review. Overall, I am happy with the results. But I am still waiting to see how it performs over the long term.

Having fully hardened, the opti-coat looks very glossy now. Almost like a thin sheet of glass over the paint. However, I wouldn't say that the color is "deep" like with some waxes. This is just my personal opinion, though, and I'm no expert.

The beading is very impressive. Earlier this week it was misting very lightly outside. In the 5 minutes before getting to the interstate, my hood was covered in miniature little water droplets. As you all know, smaller droplets are less willing to roll off the paint. However, as soon as I got above 40mph on the highway, all of the droplets instantly gelled and literally flew right off the hood. It was amazing.

My only skepticism is with the supposed hardness. After getting home from that drive, I pulled out some quick detailer and a cobra guzzler towel to get rid of any water spots. For some reason I had trouble getting the water spots out (as an aside, I'm interested in any input on this issue). And when I flipped my microfiber towel over a second time and started to wipe, I heard this horrible high-pitched scraping sound against the paint. I lifted up the towel and found a nice scratch that I guess was caused by something in the towel. I was pretty pissed, having just washed the towel and not let it touch any surface aside from other clean microfiber towels.

So I pulled out the optimum spray polish and my softest hand applicator, and the scratch came out with very minimal effort. What I don't understand is how a scratch that is deep enough to feel with your finger can come out so easily if the opti-coat is really as hard and protective as claimed. I would still use the opti-coat even if it was as soft as the OEM clear coat, because extra protection is always better, but I just wonder how hard it really is.

So in conclusion, I'm fairly pleased with the look and very impressed with the beading ability. We will see how the durability issue progresses, but I don't feel as "indestructible" as I was originally hoping.

I'll update again in the future if any of these opinions change. For those of you that also have opti-coat, give us your updates as well!
Armonster is offline   Reply With Quote